Welcome

June 1st, 2013 etcare14

Hello all!

As the blog title indicates, my name is Edward Carey and I am a rising senior here at Holy Cross. This summer I will be interning at Hartford Hospital in Hartford, CT, primarily in their colorectal surgery department. I am excited for this new adventure and opportunity. I see it as a way to fully immerse myself in the medical field, which I hope to enter after graduation. The application process was intense, requiring an essay, interview, two recommendations, and a decently lengthy application. Since this is a competitive program, I am happy I got in and am excited for the summer. I will be shadowing doctors and assisting in various ways around the hospital, with a focus on colorectal surgery. I am also excited to be conducting research in the department. Part of my interest in surgery comes from taking comparative vertebrate morphology this past fall, where I enjoyed learning anatomy and working academically with my hands. Overall this summer my foremost goal is to learn as much as I can about medicine and test out my future ambitions. I also look forward to doing medical research and learning as many new things as possible. I am excited to explore a new city in Hartford and to make new connections and friends through this program. I also plan on getting up to Holy Cross to visit friends doing summer research, as well as to Boston, which should be fun.

I have had a solid last few weeks between the end of the semester and the start of my internship. A bunch of my high school friends and I are in a local softball league, so I have played a few games there. I also worked with my local town pool to help set up the facility for Memorial Day weekend, and have lifeguarded a few days since. I have also played a little bit of golf, and played well too, both of which I hope to be able to continue once I get up to Hartford.

The next few days will be busy, between attending a cousin’s wedding Saturday, moving up to Hartford Sunday, and starting work Monday. Looking forward to the next few days and getting started.

Until next time,

ETC